Bangkok St. Andrew's Pipe Band c. 1918-1919 The Bangkok St. Andrew's Society was established in 1890 by a small group of expatriate Scots stationed in what was then Siam and is the oldest of the 4 "loyal" societies (St. Patrick's, St. David's and St. George's) in Thailand.
Over the years it has gone through many developments but remains true to its original roots as a Society for Scots, those of Scots descent and those with an interest in all things scottish to meet and celebrate the Scottish culture.
Bangkok St. Andrew's Pipe Band c. 1918-1919
A visitor to the Society's web site, Mr. Doug Coombs, sent an e-mail with this photograph of the Bangkok St. Andrew's Society Pipe Band. They come from a set of photographs showing the Pipe Band from 1918 to 1923 that he came across in a box in his loft. There are 12 photographs in all, including 2 showing the unveiling of the British War Memorial in 1923 with the Bangkok St Andrew's Pipe Band Playing "The Flowers of the Forest".
Mr. Coombs inherited the estate of John Kennedy Campbell who died in 1986 and who was the second son of James and Mary Campbell from Ballinluig in Perthshire. The pictures were sent to Mary by her brother John, from Perthshire, who went out to the Far East in the 1890's to work for the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank where he worked for most of his time at the Hong Kong and Shanghai branch in Manila.
Mr Coombs initially planned to sell the album on E-bay but the Society is extremely grateful to Mr. Coombs who agreed to sell the album to the Society for our archives. We will put the other photographs on the web site when we have these available